Assets

Before I start into the assets that have been created, we did make a slight change in our scenario that will cause the collisions, it would no longer be in first person perspective, there will no gun in the lower part of the frame as it is no longer needed. A car was modelled and also rigged so this gave us the ability to use the car as the object that will cause the destruction to start. The car also gives us the opportunity to experiment with a few different scenarios, such as:

The car travelling along a piece of road, skidding out of control and hitting a fence/wall that will then cause the telephone wires to snap and spark. We could have the car crash into the house causing an explosion which everything else in the scene would have to react to. (We did consider putting the penguin into the driver’s seat and having the character as a drunk driver with the zombie walking out into the middle of the road causing the penguin to have to swerve to avoid him… but it’s still undecided…)

So really the car gives us more options as to how we want to approach this scenario, plus a team member actually rigged it so the wheels would rotate when moved so why would we just let it sit there in the set!

Before I started modelling anything in maya, I looked for some visuals already existing of the objects deciding first that metal/ oil barrels would be better suited to our style than wooden ones..

barrel-cask-iron metal-barrels-3

wine-barrel-rain-barrel

Some references from Call of Duty…

BarrelsDOA barrel_cod_4 Red_Barrel_BO

A quick sketch before starting to modelling the barrels, the undamaged barrel seemed to look a little too ‘perfect’ so I’ll also attempt some dented/damaged ones too…

IMG_9375

My models, based off of the references and drawings…

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 14.30.41Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 14.36.52

The one below was created to be set alight…

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 14.34.15

Firstly I watched a tutorial on creating fire in maya and then applied this to my barrel:

We can then have it burn for as long as we want (base resolution is currently only 60 but we can increase that later…)

A few rendered images:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.03.49 Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.02.38 Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.04.32

Telephone/electricity poles…

Again I started by finding some reference images:

Telephone_pole

telephone-poles

the_road_street-telephone-poles-akimbo

Then a quick sketch of my own:

IMG_9378

and the models, in the end we only used one of them:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.29.57 Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.30.54

The poles were connected by a cylinder, which would act as the wires:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.36.42

To the wires an ncloth was applied and then connected to the poles using a nconstraint transform at specific points, the poles were then changed to rigid bodies to prevent the wires falling through them when a gravity field was applied… the gravity field allowed for the wires to become slack:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.37.54

allowing them to bounce around:

Seeing as they were going to be destroyed in some way, I experimented with adding sparks to the scene by having a wire pushed upwards, ripping it away from where it was being held by the poles.

This was achieved by having a hidden object (another ncloth) pulled upwards through the wire by a gravity field of it’s own, it does appear for a briefly in the video above, causing it to be ripped from the rigid bodied poles. Then where I had earlier applied nconstraints between the poles and the wire I placed emitters and animated the rate of the particles to increase form 0 as the wires start to move, this eventually increases to 300. The particle render type changed to streak and then adjusted the tail size to control the size of the streaks. The particles start off red and then as they age change to yellow.

Some rendered images:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 16.09.03 Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 15.59.42 Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 16.08.25

I also modelled a wall that can be incorporated into the scene if we need it, maybe have some things crash into in…

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 16.19.18

Some smoke for the sense was also created following a tutorial in an issue of 3D artist that can then be added anywhere that needs it…

IMG_9379 IMG_9380

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 20.05.40

 

Advertisements

colour and light with Arnold

we tested Arnold’s physical sky but didn’t really like it…

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 15.26.58

we then experimented with the lights to see what different effects we could create…

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 18.48.42 Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 18.49.47

The area lights to either side are a slightly tinted yellow colour, to try and break up the blue

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 21.17.04

adding some colour to the trees…

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 13.40.27

it was also looking a little bare so some background trees were also added in…

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 17.05.09

and a little grass…

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 20.16.43

Julie also then tried creating a few mountains to make the landscape look larger…

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 20.55.38

We’re getting there!!